Posted: December 13, 2019
December 10, 2019
"Council Highlights" provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings.
Click here see full agenda packages, minutes and video recordings
Mayor Osborne congratulated Duane Bell on being awarded the Tofino Volunteer Fire Department's '2019 Fire Fighter of the Year Award'. The Mayor extended a thank you to all the Tofino Volunteer Fire Department firefighters for their contributions and commitment to the community.
On behalf of Council, the Mayor also thanked District of Tofino staff for their service and hard work throughout the year.
- Delegation from Poet Laureate Working Group: Helen Mavoa delivered a presentation regarding highlights from 2019 Poet Laureate activities and requested further funding and administrative support from the District of Tofino.
- Delegation from WildSafeBC: Bob Hansen, Pacific Rim WildSafe Coordinator, delivered a presentation regarding the 2019 Pacific Rim WildSafeBC Program and urban wildlife activities.
- Development Variance Permit - 1237 Howard Drive: The request to vary Zoning Bylaw front and side setbacks was denied.
- Development Permit Amendment - Maquinna Hotel: The Maquinna Hotel is within the Main Street Development Permit Area. An amended Development Permit was issued to allow changes to proposed overhangs, siding materials, window heights and exit stairs.
- Zoning Amendment Application - MacKenzie Beach Resort Ltd.: “District of Tofino Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1273, 2019” was introduced and read a first time. This application seeks to amend the zoning boundary to match the Tourism Focus OCP designation, and to rezone the commercial portion of the subject property to facilitate resort and camping uses.
- Zoning Amendment Application - Tofino Brewing Company: “District of Tofino Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1274, 2019” was introduced and read a first time. Tofino Brewing Company would like to adjust the permitted size and capacity of their accessory lounge, in line with available parking on the property.
- Housing Agreement Bylaw - Tofino Housing Corporation: “District of Tofino Housing Agreement Bylaw No. 1275, 2019” was read a first, second, and third time. This housing agreement is related to the Tofino Housing Corporation's multi-family affordable housing development at 700 Sharp Rd. and ensures that only qualified tenants are able to rent units, rental fees are restricted to an agreed upon maximum, and tenant selection occurs through a random lottery process.
- Committee Appointments and Review: Council appointed new membership to District advisory bodies and directed staff to undertake a review of the Community Economic Development Advisory Committee and Tofino Recreation Commission to determine alignment with current corporate planning documents.
- Waste Water Treatment Plant and Conveyance System: District staff will undertake a prequalification and tender process as soon as practicable for the construction of the Wastewater Treatment Plant and Conveyance System upgrades.
- Municipal Alcohol Policy: Staff was directed to focus a Municipal Alcohol Policy on public health and safety considerations for events on municipal property.
Other District News
Budget Feedback: www.tofino.ca/budget
Our online form is open until January 2nd, 2020 so that we can compile your feedback for consideration at the next budget meeting. More opportunities for feedback (online and at an Open House) will be available as move into the next phase of budget preparation.
2020 Council Meetings: The next regular Council meeting is scheduled to be held in the next decade - on Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 10:00 AM. Click here to view the 2020 meeting schedule.
For more information, please contact the Corporate Services Deparment at: