Posted: February 28, 2020
February 25, 2020
"Council Highlights" provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings.
Click here see full agenda packages, minutes and video recordings
Delegation from Clayoquot Action Society: Clayoquot Action Society presented Council with information on surveys of salmon for piscine orthoreovirus (PRV) near Clayoquot Sound, and requested that Council send letters to federal and provincial ministers to take action to halt the spread of PRV near Clayoquot Sound.
Delegation from Woodsmere Holdings Corp.: Woodsmere Holdings Corp. presented Council with details of their proposal for a phased housing development on the property at 825 Campbell Street.
Tofino Brewing Company Zoning Amendment: "District of Tofino Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1274, 2019" was read a second time, and Council authorized staff to schedule a Public Hearing for the subject property. The Bylaw proposes to add a new "Brewery Lounge" definition to the zoning bylaw that would accommodate an increase in the maximum permitted seating from 35 to 70 seats, and the floor area from 66.5 square metres to 111 square metres
Housing Development Proposals:
- Woodsmere Holdings Corp. - 825 Campbell Street:
- Council granted staff permission to proceed with further review of the zoning amendment application for the property at 825 Campbell Street. The applicant is proposing to rezone the property to accommodate 126 single family lots and two multi-family lots for apartment buildings. With permission to proceed granted, the application will be brought back to Council at first and second reading of a zoning amendment bylaw, after which a Public Hearing would be scheduled.
- Beckingham - 350 Fourth Street:
- Council granted staff permission to proceed with further review of the zoning amendment application for the property at 350 Fourth Street. The applicant is proposing rezone the property from Small Holdings District (A1) and Rural District (A2) to a Comprehensive Development Zone to facilitate the development of a residential neighbourhood of 25 individual lots and multi-family areas on the property. With permission to proceed granted, the application will be brought back to Council at first and second reading of a zoning amendment bylaw, after which point a Public Hearing would be scheduled.
Meares Vista Inn Housing Agreement: "District of Tofino Housing Agreement Bylaw No. 1276, 2020" was read a second and third time. The proposed Bylaw is a condition of a Temporary Use Permit for long term staff camping, and is intended to regulate who may rent the sites in the TUP area and the maximum rents.
Committee and External Appointment Updates: Mayor Osborne and Councillor Stere provided Council with verbal updates on activities of the Tofino Harbour Authority, Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District, and Tourism Tofino, including:
Tofino Harbour Authority
strategic planning, new Small Craft Harbour representative, new wharfinger
changes to Board representatives
financial planning process
solid waste collection and landfilling
Long Beach Airport lands
ACRD Multi-Use Path in Area 'C'
upcoming AGM and Board election
MRDT Agreement renewal in 2022
2019 tourism and occupancy statistics
emergency communication protocols
To hear the full updates, the video recording of the Council meeting is available to watch by clicking here.
Other District News
Tofino's Official Community Plan (OCP) is underway! To learn more about this important policy document and to provide your input on the future of Tofino's development, join District staff and Council at the following events:
- A Special Committee of the Whole Meeting will take place on March 3rd, 2020 at 4:30 PM for Council to review the Draft OCP Part 'B'. Click here to view the agenda and the draft OCP.
- an OCP Open House is scheduled for March 4th and 5th that includes presentations from staff, Q&A, and an opportunity to provide feedback.
'First Light' by Daniela Petosa - Public Art Opening: The Public Art Advisory Committee invites you to attend an evening of celebrating art on March 4th from 6-9 PM in the Community Hall Multi-Purpose Room, 351 Arnet Road. Small opening remarks by Daniela at 6:30 PM.
Budget Feedback: Click here to provide feedback on the proposed 2020-2024 Financial Plan. The deadline to submit feedback on this roud of the budget cycle is Friday, March 6, 2020.
ACRD Financial Plan Open House: Join staff from the ACRD at their Financial Plan Open House on March 3rd and March 11th in Port Alberni to learn about services delivered by the ACRD, Q&A with staff, provide feedback on the budget. Click here for more details.
The next regular Council meeting is scheduled to be held on Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 10:00 AM. Click here to view the 2020 meeting schedule.
For more information, please contact the Corporate Services Deparment at: