Posted: July 15, 2019
About Council Highlights
Council Highlights provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings. Full packages can be found at www.tofino.ca/council-meetings.
July 9, 2019 Council Meeting
- Rebecca Hurwitz, Executive Director, Clayoquot Biosphere Trust (CBT), presented Council with the CBT's 2018 Annual Report which included an overview of current programs and projects, as well as future plans.
- Tofino Housing Corporation (THC) Land Transfer: Council approved the initiation of the process to transfer Sharp Road and the Phase 1 portion of DL 114 from the District to the THC for the purposes of developing attainable housing, and approved the preparation of a permissive tax exemption bylaw for Sharp Road and DL 114, for the portions of properties owned by the THC that remain undeveloped.
- Gord Middleton Bike Parade: Council approved that the Gord Middleton Memorial Bike Parade be re-scheduled to August 25, 2019 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations Days: Council approved temporary street closures to accommodate the 2019 Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations Day Parade, subject to the dates and times of the parade being provided by August 1, 2019.
- Zoning Amendment Application - 200 Campbell Street: Council rescinded second reading of "District of Tofino Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1169, 2012," and authorized amendments to the proposed bylaw to rezone 200 Campbell Street from Two Family Residential (R2) to Downtown Core 5 Comprehensive Development Zone (DC5) to facilitate development of a ten unit resort. The proposal also includes two units of on-site staff accommodation. The Bylaw was read a second time as amended, and Council authorized staff to schedule a Public Hearing to hear public comment from the community.
- Zoning Amendment Application - 605, 613, 621 Industrial Way: Council authorized amendments to the proposed "District of Tofino Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 1243, 2019" to rezone 605, 613, and 621 Industrial Way from Heavy Industrial (M3) to Light Industrial (M2) to facilitate light industrial uses such as warehousing and distribution. The proposal also includes the development of three 2-bedroom dwelling units. The Bylaw was read a second time as amended, and Council authorized staff to schedule a Public Hearing to hear public comment from the community.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) - DoT/THC/Catalyst: Council approved an MOU between the District of Tofino, the Tofino Housing Corporation, and Catalyst Community Developments Society, that will guide the development of an affordable housing project at Sharp Road.
- "District of Tofino Delegation of Council Authority Amendment Bylaw No. 1237.01, 2019" was adopted.
Other District News
A Special Council Meeting will be held Tuesday, July 18th at 4:30 PM in the Council Chamber. Click here for more info.
The Free Seasonal Shuttle is back for the summer - The shuttle runs daily from June 28th to September 15th - surfboards welcome! Get the schedule at www.tofino.ca/tofinofreeshuttle
Highway 4 - Kennedy Hill Traffic Updates: See the project closure schedule for June 28-July 31, 2019 here.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-725-3229.
The next regular Council meeting is scheduled to be held Tuesday, August 13th, 2019 at 10:00 a.m.