March 10, 2020
"Council Highlights" provide a summary of key decisions made by Council during regularly scheduled meetings. Click here see full agenda packages, minutes and video recordings
Delegation from Tofino Housing Corporation (THC): Ian Scott, THC Interim Executive Director, delivered a presentation to Council regarding an affordable housing development on the property at 351 Arnet Road (DL 114). The presentation included an overview of the proposal, funding sources and affordability targets.
- THC Zoning Amendment Application - 351 Arnet Rd (DL 114): Council granted first reading to the zoning amendment application for 351 Arnet Rd. The Tofino Housing Corporation, in conjunction with Catalyst Developments, is proposing to develop the property into an 84-unit multi-family residential neighbourhood with units proposed to be rented at below-market rates.
- House-keeping Zoning Amendments: First reading was given to a zoning amendment bylaw that would clarify rules around woodworking in accessory buildings, home occupations, zoning for the Waste Water Treatment Plant, and floor area of Caretaker’s Cottages. The public hearing will be waived for this bylaw.
- Variance Permit granted at 664 Parlee Pl. to reduce the rear yard setback for a principal building.
RMI Event Support Grants were awarded as follows:
Application for Change to Food Primary License - The Maq Hotel: Council decided not to provide comment to the Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB) regarding the application submitted by the Maq Hotel to amend its food primary license. The LCRB will now gather the views of nearby residents and consider their input.
- Carving on the Edge: $0
- West Coast Triple Plank: $2,500
- Surfrider Short Film Festival: $3,000
- Feast Tofino: $2,500
- Cultural Heritage Festival: $2,500
- Tofino Jazz Festival: $2,500
- West Coast Farm & Garden: $2,000
- Clayoquot Salmon Festival: $0
- Tofino Tree Festival: $1,000
- Bruhwiler Kids Surf Classic: $2,000
- Tofino Shorebird Festival: $1,000
- Rip Curl Pro Nationals Presented by Red Bull: $0
- Tofino Saltwater Classic: $0
- Words In The Winter: $1,000
- Tofino Folk Festival: $0
Single-Use Item Bylaw Changes: Two readings were given to an amendment to the Single-Use Item Regulation Bylaw which would prohibit polystyrene foam containers for prepared foods, and allow the provision of plastic straws to persons with diverse abilities / accessibility needs, upon request.
Emergency Preparedness Grant Application: Staff were authorized to submit an application to the Community Emergency Preparedness Fund to modernize the District’s Emergency Support Services (ESS) program and to develop a second Disaster Support Hub.
Covid-19 Update and Funding: Staff presented the District of Tofino Covid-19 Reponse Plan and were authorized to transfer up to $20,000 from the Financial Stability Reserve Fund should there be expenditures relating to the response to COVID-19.
To hear the full updates, the video recording of the Council meeting is available to watch by clicking on the button below: