Posted: June 10, 2019
NOTICE OF INTENT TO CONSIDER COUNCIL MEETING PROCEDURE AMENDMENT
Pursuant to section 124(3) of the Community Charter, notice is hereby given that the Council of the District of Tofino intends to consider amending “District of Tofino Meeting Procedure Bylaw No. 1229, 2016” at the regular Council meeting to be held Tuesday, June 25th, 2017 at 4:30 PM in the Council Chamber, Municipal Office, 380 Campbell Street.
In general terms, the bylaw proposes the following amendments to Council’s meeting procedures:
- Meeting Times: Meetings now begin at 10:00 a.m. on the first Tuesday of the month, and 4:30 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month. This revision allows meeting times to be set annually with the meeting schedule.
- Public Comment on Agenda Items: Individuals or organizations addressing Council under this section will no longer be able to use the time allotted for Public Comment on Agenda Items to discuss their own Delegation.
- Invited Delegations: A new section will be added for delegations invited to speak before Council. Each invited delegation will have up to 15 minutes to speak, and does not need to apply.
- Public Delegations: To ensure a broad representation of the public and equitable access to Council, priority will be given to delegation applicants who have not addressed Council within the last six months.
- Delegation Screening: The Corporate Officer is granted the authority to screen delegation requests. This revised section clarifies the circumstances under which the Corporate Officer may refuse a request.
- Delegation Topics: In addition to current restrictions for addressing Council, delegations will not be permitted to address Council regarding election campaigns or matters held in confidence by the District of Tofino.
A copy of “District of Tofino Meeting Procedure Amendment Bylaw No. 1229.01, 2019” is available for download at www.tofino.ca/bylaw-information or to view in person at the Municipal Office, 121 Third Street, Tofino, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Questions or comments can be directed to Elyse Goatcher-Bergmann, Manager of Corporate Services, at 250-725-3229 ext. 610 or email@example.com.
Deputy Corporate Officer