Posted: May 25, 2018
Tofino's Outdoor Public Spaces are
Proudly Smoke & Vape Free
In response to recommendations from the Medical Health Officers of Vancouver Island, Council directed staff to review the District of Tofino's smoking regulations in order to further contribute to the health and well being of citizens and visitors by making outdoor public spaces such as beaches, playgrounds and worksites smoke and vape free (Read the Bylaw Here).
It is generally recognized that there is no safe level of smoke exposure and environmental smoke whether from tobacco, cannabis or heated vapour can contain Class A carcinogens similar to benzene and asbestos.
"In addition to protecting citizens from second-hand smoke exposure, smoke and vape free public places support individuals who want to quick and provide positive role-modeling for children and youth. Effective smoke control measures save lives, financial resources, and are vital to protecting the integrity of BC's healthcare system." - Medical Health Officers for Island Health, Tobacco & Vapour Prodcut Prevention and Control Program
The District of Tofino supports reducing the negative health impacts of smoking and second hand smoke, as well as the known environmental impacts (Statistics from Surf Rider Pacific Rim):
- Cigarette butts are the most littered item in the world, with 4.95-trillion tossed on the ground or in the water every year.
- Cigarette butts contain up to 60 known carcinogens, and they leach chemicals such as cadmium, lead and arsenic within an hour of contact with water.
- Cigarette butts have been ingested by fish, birds, dolphins and other marine life, and in addition to the toxic chemicals they contain, these butts can also cause digestive blockages that lead to death.
- Cigarette butts are the most prevalent type of debris collected in beach clean-ups around the world, and they are consistently the number one form of litter (by count) found on our local beaches.
- On Pacific Rim beaches last year, more than 3,000 cigarette butts were collected during beach clean ups by volunteers! And more daily by the community and other groups in the communities.
The District is proud to offer smoke and vape free outdoor public spaces, and looks forward to creating a healthier, cleaner environment for our community.
Manager of Corporate Services