It's Time to Talk about Cannabis in Tofino
After a century of prohibition, the pending legalization of recreational cannabis will be a significant societal change that requires forethought, attention and care to ensure a smooth implementation. Currently, it is only legal to purchase and consume cannabis with a medical prescription and by mail order from a licensed producer. Legalization will mean that all adults in BC over the age of 19 will be able to purchase certain cannabis products for their own use. The exact date of legalization has not yet been determined by the federal government.
Many of the decisions surrounding cannabis legalization will be made by the provincial and federal governments. The District of Tofino is committed to making sure that this change happens in a way that respects the unique needs and values of our community.
Although provincial regulations have not been finalized, we anticipate that local governments like the District of Tofino will be responsible for the regulation of some aspects of cannabis legalization including:
- Retail sales: zoning and business licensing to determine where cannabis stores may be located.
- Public consumption: identifying where consuming cannabis will be allowed in Tofino.
- Personal cultivation: the province may allow municipalities to set rules on public visibility and security requirements for growing cannabis plants at home to ensure public safety and limited nuisances (such as odours and visibility).
Over the next several weeks, we will be engaging with the public to hear your concerns, ideas and feedback as we navigate this change.
Our Second Feedback Form is now Open! Using information from the online forms, open house and stakeholder meetings, we're asking for more detailed feedback to inform future policies.
WHAT WE'VE HEARD
The District of Tofino has held one Open House (March 20th) and collected over 55 online feedback forms. We've listened to what interested community members have said, and compiled the following "What We've Heard" presentation.
At the Open House on April 5th, we're asking the community to let us know if we're on the right track. Let us know by filling out the second Online Feedback Form.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- B.C. Cannabis Private Retail Licencing Guide
- District Staff Report 1 - January 9, 2018
- Public Hearing Information Bulletin - February 9, 2018
- What we Heard - Public Hearing Summary
- District Staff Report 2 - February 27, 2018
- Proposed Bylaw No. 1238, 2018
- Draft Federal Legislation - Cannabis Act
Manager of Community Sustinability