Garbage & Recycling
The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD) provides waste collection which services the Tofino community. The District of Tofino is not responsible for this service and does not collect payment.
If payment is not made to the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District before December 31st of each year, the unpaid garbage and recycling collection fee will be transferred to the property taxes of the associated property. Interest will be accrued on any unpaid taxes after December 31st of each year.
Missed service? Call SonBird at 250-726-4406.
Garbage and Recycling Schedule:
Weekly garbage collection pick-up is provided every Thursday by the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District, under a contract to SonBird.
Recycling collection pick-up is provided on alternate Wednesdays for individual residential households by the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District under a contract to SonBird.
Please visit ACRD Recycling for details.
These items are banned from landfill and will not be collected as garbage:
- Biomedical waste
- Paint, solvents & other hazardous materials
- Beverage containers (as listed under recycling)
- Rocks, dirt, concrete, asphalt & sod
- Car parts, lead acid batteries, tires
- Any item accepted in curbside recycling (Blue Box)
- Fluorescent lights
- Medications & pharmaceuticals
- Oil containers & filters
- Building & demolition materials
- Animal waste & carcasses
- Propane tanks
- Agricultural waste
- Electronics & metal appliances
GARBAGE COLLECTION RULES
- Get the right sized can - Garbage cans must be between 45 - 121 litres in size, weigh no more than 20kg when full and be fitted with a lid.
- Limit of 1 garbage can. (Got more garbage? Purchase a 'Additional Can' sticker from the District Office for $3.00, plus gst)
- Place your Garbage or recycling out for collection correctly from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- All containers must be placed on the driveway of the property, near the curb.
- Garbage must be in bags, within a wildlife-proof bin. (No loose garbage. No bags on the curb.)
- Make sure it is not banned - Don't place items that are banned from landfill in your garbage can or it won't be collected.
- Is it really recyclable? Don't place items that are non-recyclable or banned from landfill in your recycling or it won't be collected. Click here to view a list of recyclable items.
- Flatten whatever you can before putting containers into your recyclables cart. Just take off the cap, step on it, and put the cap back on.
- Put out your recyclables at the curb between 5:30am and 7:30am on the day of pick up in the recycle bin that has been provided by the ACRD, or in your own bear-proof recycling bin.
GARBAGE AND RECYCLING RESOURCES