HOUSING IN TOFINO
Welcome to the District of Tofino Housing page. Here, you will find information about the following:
- Tofino Housing Corporation
- Housing Studies, Reports, and Initiatives
Who we are: The Tofino Housing Corporation is a private corporation, owned in full by the District of Tofino. The Board of Directors inlcudes:
- Josie Osborne
- Duncan McMaster
- Dorothy Baert
- Nyla Attiana
- Bob MacPherson
Our Mission: The Housing Corporation's mandate is to provide affordable and attainable housing to Tofino residents and employees.
Our Projects: The THC is currently working on plans, in tandem with the Tofino Bible Fellowship, to build 50+ units by 2019. Meetings: Meetings of the Corporation are not open to the public, however agendas and minutes are available here for information.
Taking Action on Housing in Tofino: A Forum for Residents
Friday November 17 (evening) & Saturday November 18 (all-day)
Advance event registration has closed but you may register on-site.
Tofino’s housing issues are well known, and now it’s time to move beyond talking about the problem and discuss real solutions that are being proposed.
Join the District of Tofino and the Tofino Housing Corporation to help shape housing development plans, learn about other housing initiatives within the District, provide direct feedback about your needs, and be inspired by possibilities. The day-and-a-half long forum opens with a Friday evening discussion, film screening and social, and continues all day Saturday with two streams of seminars and workshops. The forum culminates on Saturday afternoon in a Town Hall Discussion about moving forward with solutions.
WHAT IS THE FORUM?
- Screening and panel discussion of “No Fixed Address,” a documentary about Vancouver housing issues
- Tofino Housing Corporation and Tofino Bible Fellowship plans for development at DL 114
- Renting vs. Buying: What are the pros and cons?
- Mortgage 101: What do you need to do to get ready for homeownership?
- Ready to Rent? What makes a successful tenancy – from both the tenant AND landlord perspectives
- The Co-Housing Movement: What’s involved in creating an intentional community?
- Small Homes and Tiny Houses: Learn from the District of Squamish and Smallworks BC how smaller homes can become a part of a community
- Mini-Tradeshow: Talk to lenders, insurance brokers, District of Tofino staff and more about your housing questions
- Tell Your Story! Share your housing stories – anonymously or not – through an interactive video or laptop booth
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This forum is for Tofino residents looking for better housing…
- Are you couch surfing while looking for a permanent home?
- Are you struggling to make your rent or mortgage payment?
- Are you considering buying a home just so you won’t worry about being evicted?
- Is your family cramped in too small a space?
- Are you worried about the safety and health of your current dwelling?
This forum is also for community leaders, businesses, service providers and resource people who want to be a part of the solution…
- Do you want to supply (more) staff housing?
- Do you know what obstacles Tofitians are struggling with and have ideas for how to overcome them?
- Do you want to help build more affordable housing, like a long-term rental suite?
- Do you have solutions and ideas to bring forward?
- Are you a realtor, a lender, an insurer, a financial advice provider, a landlord, a parent?
This survey is being conducted by the Tofino Housing Corporation and Tofino Bible Fellowship to better understand the community's current need for housing, the ability to afford new housing and the type and size of housing that might best meet our needs.
Before you take the survey, please take the time to click the images below to review information about the different types of housing and average pricing for rentals versus purchase.
If you already reviewed this information at the Housing Forum, please proceed to the survey below.
District of Tofino Publications
- 2015 Affordable Housing Needs Assessment
- 2015 Affordable Housing Community Consultation
- 2016 Seasonal Worker Housing Report - Phase 1
- 2016 Seasonal Worker Housing Report - Phase 2
- Ready to Rent (Non-Profit Tenancy Group)
- Affordable Housing Tools for Local Government (BC Government)
- BC Housing (BC Government)
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC - Federal Government)
|Tofino Housing Corporation
Ian Scott, Executive Director