Festivals and Events


For the most up to date information on gatherings and events visit the Province of BC's Public Health Order webpage.

Are you planning on hosting a community event or festival on public space in Tofino?

A special event permit is required if you plan on organizing, managing, promoting or advertising an assembly of twelve or more people on District-owned property including: parks, public places, highways, roads or beaches.

Tofino offers a variety of unique event spaces.  Some of our most popular locations include:

How To Apply

  1. Take a moment to review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section below to discover the requirements and best practices that may apply to your event. These requirements will be confirmed once staff review your application and Council approves your special event permit application based on the information you submit.
  2. Fill out a Special Event Permit Application.  Please provide as many details about your event as possible in the event description.

    NEW IN 2021On January 12, 2021 Council adopted the Municipal Alcohol Policy which is subject to all public events that intend to serve alcohol on public property. Event applicants will be sent an additional compliance checklist from District staff, to be included in their Special Event Application to Council. All events (even re-occuring and previously approved events) subject to the Municipal Alcohol Policy must be approved by the District of Tofino Council.
  3. The Culture and Events Programmer will respond to your application once submitted and will begin the event permit process. If you have questions or need to make changes to your application, contact events@tofino.ca.

Read the District of Tofino's Public Property Use Bylaw and the Municipal Alcohol Policy.

Visit the Event Calendar.  If you'd like to be listed on the event calendar, please email events@tofino.ca.

Contact events@tofino.ca or call (250)725-3229 ext.603

Resources & Tools

Sustainable Event Guide
BC Liquor Control & Licensing
Island Health Food Safety
Municipal Alcohol Policy 


Who can I talk to about my event?

Cindy Hutchison, Culture and Event Programmer can help you before, during and after your event. Email chutchison@tofino.ca or call (250)725-3229 ext 603.

Do I need a special event permit?

A special event permit is required if your event will be held on or require the use of District property. District property includes beaches, public parking lots, parks, walkways, roads or pedestrian areas. To begin the process please fill out the Special Event Application.

Can I hold my event on a public beach?

The District of Tofino aims to strike a balance between the desire to host memorable events and the expectation of residents and other visitors that the beaches will largely be free of privatized endeavours such as wedding receptions and private parties. 

Please contact chutchison@tofino.ca to discuss your proposed event or use of the beach. 

Can I hold my wedding ceremony on a public beach?

Ceremonies on public beaches are welcome, but please keep in mind the following:

- Public access cannot be restricted.

-No structures or large equipment may be erected without approval by Council.

-Alcohol is not permitted on public property, including Tofino's beaches,  at any time.

All users of public property are encouraged to leave the space better than they found it.  All items such as small PAs, chairs, arbors, etc. should be set up and removed as close to the ceremony as possible to minimize the disruption of public space.

Additional restrictions may apply. Please contact chutchison@tofino.ca to discuss your plans.

What does a special event permit cost?

A damage deposit from the event organizer is required once a special event permit has been approved by Council.  The damage deposit amount is based on the number of participants expected to attend (as shown below) and will be refunded after a site audit has been completed.  

Fewer than 25 participants & attendees $100
25-75 participants & attendees $150
75 - 150 participants & attendees $500
More than 150 participants & attendees $1000

For Tofino Community Hall user fees and damage deposit schedule, click here.

Can I serve alcohol at my event on public propety?

A Special Event Permit (SEP) from the Liquor & Cannabis Regulation Branch is required if you wish to serve, sell and consume alcohol at your event.

Visit the Provincial Liquor Special Event Permit webpage for more information.

Approval by District of Tofino Council is also required.  Please contact events@tofino.ca for more details. 

Alcohol is not permitted on public beaches at any time.

Can I serve food at my event?

A temporary food service permit from Island Health is required if you wish to serve food at your event. For more information about temporary food service and to apply for a temporary food service permit visit the Island Health Food Safety webpage.

Council must approve the sale of food on public property. You will be required to indicate your intention to sell food at your event when you complete the special events permit application.

The District of Tofino requires a copy of your Temporary Food Service Permit 14 days before the event.

Can I sell merchandise at my event?

Council must approve the sale of merchandise on public property. You will be required to indicate your intention to sell merchandise at your event when you complete your special events permit application.

Can fireworks be part of my special event?

Please contact Fire Chief Brent Baker at bbaker@tofino.ca or 250-725-3365 for more information.

Do I need a traffic management plan?

A traffic management plan is required if your event will divert traffic or impact road safety. Your traffic management plan must consider the safe and effective movement of event participants, volunteers, and vendors.  It must also demonstrate how interference with normal traffic movement will be minimized. You are encouraged to consult with the Tofino RCMP and local emergency agencies if your event will impacting normal traffic flow.

When your event takes place along a provincial highway, you will need to obtain a permit from the local Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure at least 30 days before the date of the event.

The District of Tofino requires a copy of your event traffic management and route plan and/or highways permit 30 days before the event.

Are you having your event at the beach? The District of Tofino has traffic management best practices that events will be required to implement.