How to Participate
The District of Tofino Mayor and Council greatly value community input. There are several ways residents can forward concerns, suggestions and questions to Council:
- Attend Council Meetings
- Attend a Public Hearing
- Submit Written Input
- Submit a Petition
- Volunteer on a Committee
All regular Council and Committee meetings are open to public attendance.
The public gallery is expected at all times to show due respect towards Council, its decision making process and the public office held by its members. While attending a Council meeting please:
- Turn off or silence your cell phone;
- Do not applaud or otherwise interrupt the proceedings;
- Refrain from vocal outbursts, and rude or offensive behaviour.
CLICK HERE to learn about the ways the public can participate at a Council meeting.
Public Hearings are held to provide the public with an opportunity to convey their views on proposed amendments to the District’s Zoning Bylaw or Official Community Plan Bylaw.
Public Hearings are noted on the Council Calendar.
Correspondence to Mayor and Council can be forwarded to:
Tofino Municipal Office
121 Third Street
PO Box 9
Tofino BC V0R 2Z0
1. All correspondence is circulated to the intended recipient. For clarity, all correspondence addressed to Mayor and Council (electronic or mail) is circulated to their @tofino.ca email addresses but not necessarily added to an agenda.
NOTE: Specific requests of Council are prioritized, and correspondence for Council's information is likely to be circulated by email without inclusion on a public agenda. Council members may request that letters be discussed at a meeting.
2. All correspondence is filed, tracked and dispositioned in accordance with District of Tofino records management policies and procedures. Citizens should be aware that all correspondence addressed to Mayor and Council becomes part of the public record.
3. When electronic correspondence is received from members of the general public, staff will respond to senders informing them to whom their inquiry has been directed.
A petition is a document addressed to Mayor and Council (or a Committee) and signed by an unspecified number of individuals. In most cases, a petition is a request to provide support or opposition to a matter under debate.
In order to be considered, a petition must:
- be addressed to Council (or Committee);
- state the request (i.e. to support or oppose a matter) on each page of the document;
- contain the printed names, addresses and signatures of the petitioners making the request; and
- note on each page of the signed petition that petitions received by the District of Tofino are deemed to be public records and names and addresses are subject to public disclosure and may be published in a meeting agenda, which is posted on the District’s website, if the matter comes before Council or Committee.
Please Note: The original petition must still be submitted to the Municipal Office.
To find out about current opportunities and how to become a volunteer committee member click here.
PO Box 9, 121 Third Street
Tofino BC V0R 2Z0