Effective date: January 4, 2022
District of Tofino ("us", "we", or "our") operates the https://tofino.ca website (the "Service").
This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have associated with that data.
Information Collection & Use
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
What data do we collect, and why?
Through the use of pages on this website and interaction with our products and services, we may collect data from you. Sometimes the data we collect relates to you or identifies you. In this policy, data that relates to or identifies a natural person is defined as “personal data.” “Data” always includes personal data. Our goal is always to maintain the highest levels of privacy and security with your personal data. All personal information collected by the District of Tofino is managed according to the British Columbia Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act We will always try to give you appropriate notice of what data we collect and how we will use it, and we will only process your data when we consider it fair and lawful to do so.
We may collect the following data from you:
- Personal data such as your first name, last name, mailing address, email address, mobile phone number,
- Records of your visits to the site, through cookies and otherwise (which records may include: traffic data; location information; logs; information about your computer or mobile device such as if applicable your IP address, operating system, mobile carrier, or device identifying
- Records of correspondence between us and you (for example, records of your and our communication for purposes of support services)
- Comments, posts, or other data you upload to our site (for example, in the comments section of our blog posts)
- Information you provide by completing forms on our website or in our products and services (for example, filling out forms and information you provide when subscribing to newsletters or contacting us)
Sometimes the reason for collection will be obvious (such as when you give us your email address to allow us to contact you). When it is not, we will describe to you at the time of collection the purpose for collecting the data and if possible ask for your consent. To the extent possible, we anonymize or pseudonymize data we collect from you.
In general, we do not intentionally collect sensitive personal data. Sensitive personal data is data of the kind regulated by Article 9 or Article 10 of the GDPR, such as personal identity numbers; financial account information; information concerning racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; religious, philosophical, or other beliefs; membership in trade unions or professional or trade associations; physical or mental health information; biometric data; genetic data; data concerning sexual activity or orientation; or data concerning criminal records or suspected criminal activity. However, if you provide us with sensitive personal data, whether through the website or through any of our products or services, you explicitly consent to our use and processing of that data.
We may also collect information how the Service is accessed and used ("Usage Data"). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files with small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Tracking technologies also used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
Examples of Cookies we use:
- Session Cookies. We use Session Cookies to operate our Service.
- Preference Cookies. We use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
- Security Cookies. We use Security Cookies for security purposes.
Use of Data
The District of Tofino uses the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain the Service
- To notify you about changes to our Service
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so (such as sign up forms)
- To provide customer care and support
- To provide analysis or valuable information so that we can improve the Service
- To monitor the usage of the Service
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
Storage and Transfer of Data
The District of Tofino is a municipal organization located in British Columbia, Canada. When we store your data, it is stored on servers in Vancouver, British Columbia or Toronto, Ontario.
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside Canada and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to Canada and process it there.
Disclosure of Data
District of Tofino may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of District of Tofino
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
Security of Data
The security of your data is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
We take a number of steps to ensure that data we collect is protected from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction, including the following:
- Many of our services are encrypted using SSL.
- We regularly review our data collection, storage, and processing practices, including physical and electronic security measures.
- We restrict access to your personal data to only those employees, agents, and business partners who need access to it in order to deliver requested products and services.
- All of our employees, agents, and business partners are subject to strict confidentiality and nondisclosure obligations, the violation of which may result in termination and/or liability.
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service ("Service Providers"), to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Service-related services or to assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Service. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en
Contact and Application Forms:
We use the WordPress plugin “Ninja Forms” for our contact and inquiry forms, as well as several application forms. Ninja Forms saves a backup of submitted information in the database of our website (located on servers in Canada) before sending us a notification email. If, at any time, you would like us to provide this contact form information (Right to Access) or delete this information (Right to Be Forgotten) from our database, simply contact us and we will be happy to comply.
Newsletter or Notification Opt-in:
You will only be added to our email list with your explicit consent (via checkbox on signup form, or double email opt-in. We will not sell or distribute your name and/or email address to any third party.
Links to other sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 ("Children").
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Children has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
What rights do you have with respect to your personal data?
You have a right to know if we have any of your personal data and to have access to that data, and you have the right to have any incorrect personal data corrected. If you have given us consent to have or use your data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. You also have the right to have your personal data erased or to transport your data.
You may contact us at any time at https://tofino.ca/contact, to exercise any of these rights. Understand that sometimes we have to have your data in order to interact with you, and so exercising some or all of these rights might impact your ability to use our website or our products and services.
Contact the District of Tofino