Community Children's Centre
It takes a village
Our mission is to offer the best early learning environment that focuses on areas of early learning in line with the revised Early Learning Framework vision and principles.
The Early Learning Framework Principles set forth ways of thinking about childhood, learning, and practicing that underpin the vision of respectfully living and learning together. The principles are:
- Children are strong, capable in their uniqueness, and full of potential.
- Families have the most important role in contributing to children’s well-being and learning.
- Educators are researchers and collaborators.
- Early years spaces are inclusive.
- People build connection and reconnection to land, culture, community, and place.
- Environments are integral to well-being and learning.
- Play is integral to well-being and learning.
- Relationships are the context for well-being and learning.
- Learning is holistic.
Moe the Mouse®
The Moe the Mouse® Speech and Language Development Program is run through the BC Aboriginal Child Care Society and is an innovative early speech and language resource that uses Indigenous toys and stories to enhance language development in children ages 3–5. Activities our educators provide opportunities for children to practice language skills in a natural setting.
Supported Child Development Program (SCDP)
The SCDP is run through the Port Alberni association for community living. This program provides support to families who have children with special needs by helping them to obtain services in community childcare settings. Staff assist the families and childcare agencies put plans into place to ensure the child has the best opportunity to develop to their fullest potential.
STARS©™ - Skills That Achieve Readiness for School
STARS©™ is a structured, multi-sensory, play-based group curriculum that teaches a broad range of skills to children in the year before kindergarten.