Bylaws & Policies
Frequently requested bylaws & policies
Bylaws and Policies inform how the District operates as a government body, while providing regulations, guidance and procedures to the community. On this page, you will find copies of frequently requested bylaws and policies. The electronic and consolidated versions of the bylaws and policies are made available for convenience only, and are updated by staff once they are adopted by Council.
To request official copies of District of Tofino bylaws or have a bylaw added to this page, please contact Municipal Hall by Emailing Corporate Services.
Bylaws are adopted by Council during open Council Meetings and can include subjects like zoning and land use, signage, noise, parking regulations, licensing, fees and charges, property taxation and utility rates/regulation. Each bylaw must be read by Council three (3) times in an open and public meeting before it is adopted at subsequent meeting. Members of the public wishing to provide feedback, questions and/or ideas to Council regarding proposed bylaws are encouraged to participate in the bylaw adoption process as early as possible by connecting with department staff proposing the bylaw or participating in Council meetings.
Policies are clear, simple statements about how the District intends to conduct its services, actions or business. Policies provide a set of guiding principles to help with decision making for Council and Staff, and are often accompanied by procedures that direct Staff on how to implement the policy.
Amenities Reserve Fund
Board of Variance
Bylaw Notice and Dispute Adjudication
Business Licence Regulation
Delegation of Council Authority
Development Approval Info Area
Development Approval Procedures
Development Cost Charges
5 Year Financial Plan
Fees and Charges
Firewood Retail Regulation
Fireworks and Firearms Regulation
Freedom of Information
Municipal Ticket Information System
Municipal and Regional District Tax Levy
Officers, Employees and Indemnification
Official Community Plan
Public Property Use Regulation
Pesticide Use Reduction
Sewer and Utility Rates
Significant Tree Bylaw
Single Use Item Regulation
Smoking and Vaping Regulation
Subdivision & Development
Traffic & Parking Regulation
Tofino Recreation Commission
Water Utility Rates
Commonly Accessed Policies
This policy is to ensure that electronic and paper correspondence received by the District of Tofino is distributed to its intended recipients so that it is acted upon in a timely manner, and appropriate record keeping policies are applied.
- All correspondence shall be circulated to the intended recipient. For clarity, Section 5 (Procedures) must be followed for all correspondence addressed to Mayor and Council, a specific position or department, or an individual.
- All correspondence received by the District of Tofino will be filed, tracked and dispositioned in accordance with District of Tofino records management policies and procedures. Official records will be filed and managed and transitory records will be securely disposed (refer to Appendix A and B for further details).
- When electronic correspondence is received from members of the general public, staff will respond to senders informing them to whom their inquiry has been directed. All other electronic correspondence (i.e. from an organization) will not require such a response.
Municipal Alcohol Policy (MAP)
The Municipal Alcohol Policy aims to reduce potential harms at public events serving alcohol and promote inclusivity at events on public property.
This policy recognizes that responsible alcohol use on public property is based on the following foundational principles:
- Community Health and Safety
- Engagement and Support
- To promote the health, enjoyment, safety, and inclusivity of events on District property.
- To be part of a broader dialogue and harm-reduction approach to alcohol-related issues in our community.